Thursday, May 02, 2024

VLR FAST 10'S ARE BACK

VLR Fast 10's are BACK (2023)! Click here to view! Simply join 74.91.122.77:32263 IP in DTR2 and set the laps to 10 in default late models for your time to show up!

To get the game to work online, simply download RivaTuner Statistics Server and click the + sign to add dtr2.exe and then set the frame rate to be 120FPS!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51056

• VLR_Shock
  • VLR_Shock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Team VLR - Racing since 2004
  • Thank you received: 483
First of all, thanks Viper for the Camtasia idea, it seems to have worked great! With that said, I have the first actual video with audio ready for everyone to watch. I haven't watched through it to make sure everything is good but every part in the video I clicked on seemed to work good with good audio. LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS YOU ANY AND EVEN POST SCREENSHOTS OF YOUR TRACK THAT YOU WORK ON! Also if you have any questions you'd like me to demonstrate in future videos please let me know. Please respond after you watch the video because I'd love to hear if this has helped anyone! Thanks.

I was glad to see all the interest and that's why I made the video so now I want to hear from people who followed the video and are attempting to make a track now so please don't let me down now. It's normal to make mistakes as you learn so don't worry if it doesn't turn out as perfect as you planned, that's what practice is for.

Hopefully people understand this video. If you have any questions please post in the VLR forum.

Here are the programs you need as per the video and where to download them.

Rhino3d (For editing the track):
st5.divshare.com/launch.php?f=7894748&s=b04

DE2 Editor (For exporting the track to Excel):
teamvlr.com/index.php/component/docman/d...itor.html?Itemid=121

TexDraw (For painting the textures inside your tracks textures folder):
teamvlr.com/index.php/component/docman/d...draw.html?Itemid=121

Excel Macros (For quickening the conversion of the .csv file to .raw for Rhino):
teamvlr.com/index.php/component/docman/d...cros.html?Itemid=121

OPTIONAL:
WORDPAD tutorial for Rhino. Very useful if you need to jog your memory on something and aren't sure where it was in the video. Also gives you an idea of where the macros go:
teamvlr.com/index.php/component/docman/d...rial.html?Itemid=121

F1's Rhino Import Tutorial:
For people who don't have Microsoft Excel but have another spreadsheet program. Macros aren't needed for this tutorial:
teamvlr.com/index.php/component/docman/d...rial.html?Itemid=121

Let me know if it helps!
Team VLR - Racing since 2004
The following user(s) said Thank You: IR_Viper

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51057

• VLR_Shock
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Watch in HD 1080p to read everything best and in full screen

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51062

great video, love the comment "you suck" lol, have to get excel than I can get started

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51064

• VLR_Shock
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Well if people had stopped watching the video then they didn't know I told them that they sucked, but now they do lol.

You don't need Excel if you have another spreadsheet program then you can just use the tutorial F1 made here on the site. Hopefully the video made sense to you.

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51066

is this the same way you can make chassis? or is that something different

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51067

• VLR_Shock
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yeah you should be able to follow these same steps to make a chassis. has anyone had luck with the new tutorial?????

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51068

hunting down a spread sheet program

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51070

• Karl
  • Series Champion
  • Series Champion
  • Thank you received: 44
excellent job Shock
The following user(s) said Thank You: VLR_Shock

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51071

Hey ya' Karl.

LIkewise from me Shock. About time!!!! Unfortunately I can only watch it on VLR site but would luv a video copy of to follow ,more in detail. Can't wait for the ALP one.... Yeehaa!!!

Any chance of a different std video format as the one I DL'd in Mp4 format comes out as Audio only. Have tried to convert it to another format but with no luck. If you can give us another format; would be great but only when ur free. I want this for future tracks but house restoration is first then a shift to Rotorua plus an upgrade to the only PC (VISTApss) we have running to handle extra workload and then I will be back. Sorry I'm not on a lot but I have been watcvhing this thread and the older one very closely and I'm luvin' it!!!!. Thanx for this, bud.

Last edit: by Paul D kiwi.

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51073

• VLR_Shock
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I'll try to convert it later Paul. Can you not get youtube to work?

Also, a lot of people expressed interest in the other thread but only like 2 people have actually said anything since. I was going to make another video after this one but I'm not sure since nobody seems to have tried to do anything in the first video hardly. The next video would show ALP and such too, but I'm not gonna waste my time with it if nobody even tries to make a track

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51074

• Gei$ler
  • Series Champion
  • Series Champion
  • Thank you received: 221
I haven't had time yet with the holiday weekend, maybe Ill start tomorrow on it. Watched the first 10 minutes so far

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51075

• J-MAC
  • Muscle
  • Muscle
  • The Fan Favorite
  • Thank you received: 296
I just don't have a computer to do any of this on. When I get a new one I'll give it a shot. I've had a few ideas for some fictional tracks that could be fun.
A main wins: 151*'

B main wins: 50

C main wins: 5

D main wins: 1

Dash wins: 133

Heat race wins: 339***

Championships: 15*

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51079

Thanks Shock. I'm at work right now so could only watch a couple minutes but I get the sense this is exactly what I needed to get started. Thanks again man and have a great memorial day.

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51081

Hey shock first I wana say thanks for taking the time to make this video ive always wanted to make tracks and this has made it a lot better understood once again thanks but I do have one question idk if its possible but can you take a oval track and and take the back straight and make it not a straight like a slight turn in the back stretch in the middle if u could get back to me that be great thanks.

and cant wait to see the other videos on griddping and makin grooves thanks agian
Download my car its the one im gonna use for all races im in thanks headline is DCnation

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51082

• VLR_Shock
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Thanks DC.

Yes you can definitely done that and I've done it multiple times. Including taking tracks with curves on the straights and straightening them. That would be a little more advanced video but yeah you can and it's not all that hard really. Did you have any luck with the video yet? Let me know!

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51083

yes I did im gonna continue on it omarow and should be donr if I just sit down and work on it all day should only take a couple more hours but ill just need to grip it and make the grooves.
Download my car its the one im gonna use for all races im in thanks headline is DCnation

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51085

• VLR_Shock
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Awesome did you use the track I told in the tutorial? It's not the best track but I should've looked at them before I picked that one lol. Glad you were able to get the track in the game and stuff. I'll try to do a grip video soon.

My next video I hope to teach a few of these things:
Widening track
Adding trees, crowd, fence, etc
Grip

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51086

• VLR_Shock
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Also in the next video or two I will show how to reshape the track and/or trace a real life track to make a realistic track. But I want to hear from more people who have watched the video and if it has helped you first! Thanks for the feedback guys

Here's an example of a track I made with a curved straightaway that started as an oval track. In this case the track started as Bloomington and was traced and reshaped to have the bow in the straight. Other tracks that didn't have a bow in them that I added one to are Volusia, Speedway City, Bubba Raceway Park, Farmer City, and probably several more.

Attachments:

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51087

nice and i was also woundering can u add more lights in then what are already put on there like copy a light and duplicate it along with walls id like to put walls around the inside but cant figure that out and more lights and how would u convert it from day to dark or dark to day and instead of trees in the back ground make it hills lol and the writeing on the walls and how would you do the tires in the turns to lol my bad im prolly getting to far ahead of my self just things id like to know and also if i wanted to changed the dirt into red clay color how would i do that? just a few ideas to put out for a next video or something and adding fences would be great to know to and also the start finish line can u move that and everything . and say over the grand stands theres a roof how would you add that? and buildings and like winner cyrcles and stuff. i really cant wait to learn more from your videos i really appreciate all this i cant wait to get really good at this and start being able to produce trcks people want like crazy. ad can you add multiple grooes and a way to make one grove faster than the others?

sorry i don't mean to ask all of this of you just some things i would like to learn

DTR2 Track Making Tutorial Video 1! 10 years 11 months ago #51090

• VLR_Shock
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1. Yes you can add more lights easily, which is something I will try to go over in the next video. Adding lights is in the .alp file in the track folder. And yeah we just copy the same light and duplicate it around the track until we have lights on everything we need.

2. Converting it from daylight to dark is basically just painting the sky black or something in the textures folder and adding lights like I said before lol. So it's not actually changing a file to say daytime or dark, you just paint the sky to look dark and add lights.

3. You can make hills in Rhino. It uses the same stuff I covered in the first video. Just select some points outside of the track and raise them up. I might show that in a second video but it's pretty simple to do that.

4. Writing on the walls would be in the .alp. You would paint up a .tga texture that you exported out of texdraw (The paint program for painting tracks) and have it to say what you want and then stretch it along the wall.

5. You can do tires in alp but you will be able to drive through them and it's a little bit harder, so your best bet is to use tires if the track you're working with already has some.

6. Change the dirt color in the terrains folder of the track. There are 6 files that you can paint that will change the color on different wetnesses.
1.tga is the wettest
2.tga is 2nd wettest
3.tga is 3rd wettest
4.tga is 4th wettest and is what the track color will look like on 47 wet which is what most people race online, so definitely paint that one.
5.tga is dry
6.tga is the dryest

7. Fences are also in the alp file and would be covered.

8. You can move the start finish line but we usually don't because it can be kind of complicated I think, but that is in the .lt file which stands for lap tracking and determines where the black flag errors and start finish line and all that is.

9. You can add stuff over the grandstands but you will have to use another object that the track is and kinda make it look like a roof the best you can.

10. You can only use buildings and objects that the track already has so you'd have to use them for winner circle building and scales etc.

11. Of course you can add multiple grooves, and you can make one groove way faster than the others. That is all with the grip and I'll try to teach that in the second video but it may be a bit hard to grasp at first.

Thanks for the questions I'm glad you seem very interested in learning. And I'm assuming you were able to get your track in Rhino and start editing? If so that's great. I'll save this reply so I can look back at it in the next video and try to cover most of the things you asked. Hope this helped.

Moderators: BLS_34
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

Who's Online?

We have 186 guests and no members online

Custom Code

Login Form