Saturday, April 27, 2024

VLR FAST 10'S ARE BACK

VLR Fast 10's are BACK (2023)! Click here to view! Simply join 74.91.122.77:32263 IP in DTR2 and set the laps to 10 in default late models for your time to show up!

To get the game to work online, simply download RivaTuner Statistics Server and click the + sign to add dtr2.exe and then set the frame rate to be 120FPS!

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

got my first racing wheel - now I suck - tips? 7 years 10 months ago #71198

Hi all.

I've been playing DTR2 for almost ten years now (mainly just single player), but up until recently I've just used a standard joypad.

I picked up a Momo Force (red) used and immediately fired it up in DTR2. It seems like it's going to be absolutely awesome once I learn how to drive with it!

I can usually dust the AI drivers using the joypad, but I can barely get a lap around any track using the wheel. I haven't gotten my force feedback working yet (I run under wine in Linux). I've also played with the in-game calibration and the steering lock to varying degrees, but haven't had much luck. The variable throttle is also a new thing - much different from just pressing a button.

I'm guessing it's partially because of the lack of FF on the wheel (hoping to rectify that soon) and the differences in the throttle that are throwing me off, but anyone have any tips?

Thanks! Happy racing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

got my first racing wheel - now I suck - tips? 7 years 10 months ago #71199

• Goldfish
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The Ohio Overseer
  • Thank you received: 76
Run a little under 180 degress of rotation
Get rid of any FFB dampening
Boost the amount of FFB you get
(When/if you get it working)
Run an 18-24 degree lock in game
Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mirakus

Last edit: by Goldfish.

got my first racing wheel - now I suck - tips? 7 years 10 months ago #71200

Thanks. I'm sure these are great ideas.

I'm thinking my wheel has a hardware problem with the force feedback, but I'm handy with electronics so I'm hoping to figure it out. Also, I'm pretty sure the linux driver (my system is kernel 3.8) automatically sets the wheel to its "default" degrees of rotation - not sure if there's a current utility on linux to actually set that, but I will look into it. I know LTWheelConf was supposed to do that but apparently that's old-hat now and they've made it "automagic" in newer kernel releases. I'd bet a part of my problem is a slight deadzone in the center and also running the default Momo degrees (240?). It's pretty tricky to hit left into a turn and then snap almost all the way right to counter it. I'll try these settings when I can and practice it up.

got my first racing wheel - now I suck - tips? 7 years 10 months ago #71220

Download BLS Jason's sets on this site. They helped me a lot when i first got a momo. Also for defaults, Wolf's sets are good. Both shouldn't need any adjustment. Unfortunately they won't have any newer tracks or SDLM sets on them. I have to organize my sets better before I put them up for downloading.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Col. Sanders

got my first racing wheel - now I suck - tips? 7 years 10 months ago #71221

Also i simpler way to adjust your wheel is simply in the in game calibration. When you calibrate, don't turn wheel all the way to 100. Turn it equally both ways , like start at 90 and work your way down to find comfort zone.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken."

Col. Sanders

got my first racing wheel - now I suck - tips? 7 years 10 months ago #71223

Thanks! I'm happy to announce that I am now able to complete events! Not doing too shabby either... I was not prepared for the additional depth using a wheel and pedals would provide, and I was already crazy about the game before.

The last issue I'm wrestling with is a dead zone in the center of my wheel. This doesn't matter on some tracks, but on others it has devastated me. I've found a way in my operating system to eliminate the deadzone, but it is still present in the DTR2 calibration screen.

got my first racing wheel - now I suck - tips? 7 years 10 months ago #71224

• BLS_BW43
  • Series Champion
  • Series Champion
  • Thank you received: 220
The only way i found to get rid of the dead spot is run a minimal amount of ffb ....but im on a DFGT so i'm not sure it would help .

Also get BR and Siz sets and some older timers sets from the IFRT site if they are not found here , i think many older players ran MOMO , get VLR 18 sets from here and honestly grab all the sets u can find , you may go thru dozens looking for the feel/speed balance for YOU and your style.

And finally , put a bungee or spring on BRAKE pedal to ensure they don't drag( especially on a MOMO), lower rear brake strength to .20-.30 and use them some especially if using auto shift

HAPPY MOTORING

• Page:
Moderators: BLS_34
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds

Who's Online?

We have 129 guests and no members online

Custom Code

Login Form